Frequently Asked Questions
SPEDU has been set up to spearhead strategies geared towards economic development diversification in the SPEDU Region through the sectors of tourism, agribusiness and manufacturing.
SPEDU was established following a study on diversification that was commissioned through the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development (MFED) funded by the European Union. The study recommended the establishment of a Unit to coordinate the regeneration programme for Selebi Phikwe. The Unit was established, domiciled under the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development through a presidential directive. The Unit then evolved into a Regional economic development agency with the expansion of the mandate to the hinterland of Selebi Phikwe speciﬁcally to the area of Bobirwa, Tswapong North, Mmadinare & Sefhophe. Further to this transformation, the agency was registered as a Company limited by guarantee in the year 2012, under the name SPEDU, wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Botswana.
In 2013 the Company became fully operational under the Ministry of Investment, Trade and Industry (MITI), an alignment that was eminent in view of the mandate of the Company and its operations.
SPEDU is made up of five (5) constituencies; Selebi Phikwe; Mmadinare, Lerala – Maunatlala and Bobonong.
The establishment of SPEDU was prompted by the need to diversify the economy from mining and mining operations into other sectors that can sustain the economy of the town with sustainable employment and industries.
- Selebi Phikwe Airport Runway Refurbishment
- Review of Selebi Phikwe Development Plans/SPEDU Dam Tourism Master Plans
- Motloutse River Farm Electrification
- Small Dams Feasibility Study
- Horticulture Business Model and Marketing Produce in Selebi Phikwe
- Kwenantle Farm
- Tsarona Farms
- Facilitation of land allocation;
- Technical support in Agribusiness, Tourism and Manufacturing;
- Addressing barriers to business start- up and growth;
- Lobbying for special dispensations and conducive environment for doing business in SPEDU Region
- Strategic Infrastructure Development
We are based in Selebi Phikwe, Lot 12384, industrial Site, behind Jumbo Warehouse.